Some time ago, we published the article and the response was enthusiastic. In order to meet the needs of fans who are thirsty for knowledge, we kept summarizing the next article. Before starting the text, let's review the previous article at the speed of light. The method and theory of the article:
1. Demand Mining Theory 2. Demand Grading Theory - General Four-Quadrant Method 3. Demand Classification Theory-KANO Model Fourth, the hierarchy of needs theory - Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory 5. Product Framework Design Theory - Five Elements of User Experience 6. Product Frame Design Theory-7 (±2) Information Block Effect 7. Product Frame Design Theory - Card Sorting 8. Interface Design Theory - Gestalt Theory
If you forget the specific content, you can reply to "Interaction Design" in the public account dialog box to review the previous article~ Without further ado, let's enter today's sharing:
9. The 80/20 Principle
In any large system, about 80% of the utility is generated by 20% of the variables in the system.
"Users spend 80% of their time on 20% of the features."
The 80/20 rule is also known as the 80/20 rule, the Pareto rule (law), the law of least effort, and the principle of imbalance. It was first discovered by Italian economist Pareto in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He believes that in any group of things, the most important is only a small part, about 20%, and the remaining 80%, although the majority, are secondary. The 80/20 rule is widely used in sociology, economics, user experience design, business management, etc.
The 8020 rule is helpful for resource integration and can help designers maximize the quality of user experience. For example, when users spend 80% of their time focusing on 20% of the product’s functions, the designer should concentrate on optimizing that 20%, and the remaining 80% should be re-evaluated to confirm their value. Designers can use this rule to re-evaluate all elements in the design, delineate the scope of redesign and optimization, and effectively determine the dominant resources for redesign. The 80/20 rule is not directly controlled by human beings, it is formed naturally.
The core of the 80/20 rule is to distinguish priorities and to allocate and integrate resources more effectively.
20% of the functions occupy 80% of the usage in the product;
80% of attention is spent on 20% of the page;
80% of progress comes from 20% of critical efforts;
80% of product errors originate from 20% of components;
80% of the company's revenue comes from 20% of its products.
In some cases, it is easy to determine the composition of the crucial 20%. User behavior can be tracked through web statistics, form b2b data submissions, and session cookies, helping us understand which UI areas users interact with the most.
The application of the 80/20 rule in user experience design:
Case 1: Find out 20% of the key functions and make a toolbar to display on the main interface, and hide the rest
Case 2: QQ synchronization assistant demand scenario analysis table (picture from "Tencent Product Law")
The "Tencent Product Law" cites an example of a scenario analysis case for QQ synchronization assistants (as shown in the figure above). For tool products, the "problems" to be solved by the products are very clear. Factors such as gender, age, etc. have little impact on the product, so you can choose to divide user models according to "use scenarios". In QQ Sync Assistant, the proportion of users of Class A replacement users and Class B backup loss prevention users is 90% and 80% respectively. When 80% of the time is used to focus on 20% of the main functions of the product, then our design needs to be Focus on these key functions, so these two types of functions are also defined as the core product lines.
Case 3: In traditional websites and web applications, the areas with the highest frequency of use and interaction are classified as 20%. When designing a mobile interface, only focus on that 20%.
Even though the mobile version of this website contains 20% of the most frequently used functions, it can be said that the mobile version has most of the important functions compared to the rich functions provided in the traditional website.